Saturday 7 May 2011

To the women who have made me who I am

To my maternal grandmother, Annette Ayotte Mc Donald, who didn't speak a word of English before marrying my grandfather, who raised 5 children on a seasonal construction worker's salary, who relocated her family all across Manitoba, who cooked and sewed and did whatever she could to make ends meet, who faithfully attended church each week and who I had the privilege of knowing for 12 years; for giving me strength, perseverance, community service and a love of the French language.

To my paternal grandmother, Jean Ibbott, still going at 95, who gave birth to and raised a son while her husband was away in WWII, who raised two children and loved and supported her husband,who always expected the most from her children and deeply valued education,who took pride in herself and her appearance, and who stood up for herself and her opinions no matter what; for giving me drive, style, a passion for education, and for reinforcing my feminism by believing that my cousins, my sister and I could do anything regardless of our gender...and maybe because of it!

To my  mother, Lou-Ellen Ibbott by far the smartest person I know and the most influential person in my life.  Costume sewer, library volunteer, car pool driver, cheering section, shoulder to cry on, singer, reader, accountant, dancer shopper, hostess and friend. For always believing in me, having high expectations of me, for fostering a love of books and literature, of community service, of the arts, of music, dance and learning.  If I am half the mother you are I will be successful!

To my sister, Whitney Ibbott Love; you know how they say people grow to look like their dogs?  Well my sister looks like her married name.  If a Hallmark card was a person, it would be my sister.  To Whitney, mother of two adorable boys; for her tremendous capacity for love and all things related, cuddles, hugs and terms of endearment, for always being the hug I needed, my playmate, friend and a wonderful aunty.

To my girls, Autumn and Holland, nature or nurture, the blood of these women flows in your veins and their values and spirit lives in your hearts.  To my girls, for giving me the most precious, exhilarating, rewarding  experience of all, and allowing me to live it every day; for making me a mom.

To all these women who have gone before and the two who came after...Thank you for all you have given and continue to give to me!  I do not take it for granted!

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment