Saturday 7 May 2011

Political activism?

I am sitting at the kitchen table drinking my favourite "donut shop" coffee from what is one of the best inventions of late, the Keurig.  Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is on in the background and it hardly seems the environment to percolate political activism but...I can't stop thinking about the Sask Party's lack of willingness to bring additional resources to the bargaining table with the teachers of Saskatchewan.  It seems so contradictory to what this government appears to value and support; young entrepreneurs, problem solvers, outside the box thinkers who will make this province home and will help to build and develop it beyond the agriculture and natural resources which have been our longtime industries.  Certainly a government that values those 21 century, high level Blooms skills in its citizens would have the foresight and long term planning to understand that the sustainability and growth of these citizens depends more on the teachers to develop and nurture theses future critical thinkers and problem solvers than anyone or anything else. Perhaps the government, like many others, believe that students will learn in spite of their teachers, or that having a place for the children to go from 8:30-4:00 is more important than what they are actually doing there.  How unfortunate!  It is mother's day weekend, and looking at the smiling, milk moustached little ladies at my breakfast table just reminds me of how much I want for them, for their futures!  I have to believe that all of the young entrepreneurs and business builders who have made our province home and have helped contribute to its current prosperity would certainly want that for their children too!? And, those who have been here all along, who have suffered though the lean years and struggles we prairie folks have faced, those true prairie people with antifreeze in their veins and a constitution to never give up, those people would definitely want better for their kids and grand kids, wouldn't they?  Where is the error in my thinking? I guess the optimist in me thought that, we would walk off for a day, the Sask party would give their heads a shake and say, "oops, let's try this again, with a reasonable offer this time!"  Instead, I have heard, that they have invested funds into an advertising and marketing plan to justify their offer of 5% over 3 years...Really???  So, that leaves me here, blogging about politics!  Who'd have thought?!  Tomorrow, I promise something lighter, it will be mother's day after all and, as much as I love being a teacher, I LOVE being a mother, the most important job in the world!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment