Monday 9 May 2011

Comfort in Community (and coffee)

Today has been a tragic but inspiring day.  A student in one of the schools where I am privileged to work, suddenly and unexpectedly lost his life over the weekend.  Observing the shock, disbelief and grief throughout the school in staff and students alike reminded me of how much a school really is a community.  Beyond the content area subjects and curricula, teachers, students and ancillary staff share a bond much deeper and more human.  They are a community, a large and, at times, dysfunctional family.  A colleague and I went for a coffee and snack/lunch run for the staff and students who hadn't had a chance to eat.  While balancing 8 scorching cups of Starbucks on my lap (they were out of the boxes) as my teammate attempted to avoid the many potholes that plague our city streets and the school's parking lot, my life with skin began to flash before my eyes... Seriously though, I was worried there could be a second tragedy if I was bathed in 300 degree fair trade bold in an attempt to comfort those in need of a little warmth and some caffeine!  Anyway, walking into the guidance office and watching teachers and students comforting one another in their grief reinforced in me the most significant indicator of a teacher's effectiveness; his or her ability to connect with the students.  That ability, like no other, builds capacity for trust and establishes a strong environment for learning and collaboration to take place.  I am touched by the compassion and genuine emotion expressed in response to this tragedy and luckily was not touched by the scalding coffee.  I am sorry that I did not have the good fortune to know this young man, but proud that his teachers cared for and about him rather than just about his marks or how he did on some test.  Being a teacher gives one the opportunity to help develop some amazing young minds and to get to know some amazing young people.  Humanity is one of the most important experiences we can develop and share by being a part of a classroom and school community and/or over a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment