Thursday 9 October 2014

Mini We Day Regina

It has been a long time since I have been moved by something enough to take the time to blog about it.  Today, I have been inspired. 

A wonderful, motivated group of high school students took me on a journey of self discovery through a project they created and actualized called Mini We Day Regina.  The students shared their passion for the "Me to We" philosophy of putting others before yourself in a variety of ways.  The motivational speaker, Molly Burke, provided an emotional keynote, students shared their own experiences with "Me to We" trips and camps and we were reminded that the issues we so often complain about are, in fact, first world problems.

It is an important perspective to take as so much of my day to day work as an administrator in a high school includes requests and meetings for such important things as, "Please change my timetable because that teacher is too tough", "I want my spare in period 5", "My son should have received a 90% on that essay instead of 85", "My parking spot is too narrow" etc.

These students reminded me of how important education is, how in many places in the world children, especially girls, do not even have the opportunity to go to school!  We are so fortunate that our children receive the kind of education where they are encouraged to be problem solvers, to think outside the box, to consider their purpose and place on the earth, to use their skills and knowledge in service of others, to recognize injustice and to play a role in supporting positive change.

I am not going to lie, there have been days in my career where I have been in fear for the fact the my students will be the adults caring for me one day.  But not today.

 Today I know we are in good hands.  For there is nothing more powerful than educated youth uniting for a cause that is greater than themselves.  Using their power for good rather than evil.  It makes me immensely proud that I can say I may have played a small role in that consciousness.  It makes me immensely happy that I can watch it happen every day.  There are not too many jobs where one has that opportunity.  It makes me immensely grateful that I have one of those jobs. 

This morning, Molly Burke challenged the students to live, learn, pass it on.  I accept that challenge, do you?

1 comment: